Kurnoth's Heralds finally finished

Kurnoth's Heralds are finally finished!!

It certainly felt like it took a long time (while, in truth, it took just over a month), but I finally got Kurnoth's Heralds finished to a parade ready level and, I must admit, I'm really proud of the work I did.

Admittedly, this last part of their paint job took a little bit longer than the previous three (an extra half a week), but by this point I really just wanted to get them done I think and seeing them so close to the finish line made me just want to power through.

I started by bringing the bases up to snuff. First of all I drybrushed all three with Ogryn Camo in the hopes of giving it a much more grasslands look. I then moved onto to Thousand Sons Blue for some of the flowers on the base in order to give both the base and the model overall an additional colour (there was no blue as far as I could remember). There was a plan to paint the remainder of the flowers in Screamer Pink but, unfortunately, the pot had dried up and I needed to put some work in to bring it back to life first. So, instead I moved onto Khorne Red in order to start layering the Armour of all three minis.

When I returned to the minis a couple of days later, my Screamer Pink had returned to life, allowing me to paint the remainder of the flowers on the base, before apply to Averland Sunset to the centre of all the flowers. Once dry I then wash them all with Agrax Earthshade before leaving them to dry as I continued layering the Armour, this time with Evil Sunz Scarlet while also highlighting the Fang coloured symbols over the Armour with Russ Grey and the black harnesses with Eshin Grey.

Next up I highlighted almost everything I had just worked on, starting with the Armour which received its final layer of Wild Rider Red to finish it. After that, I applied a highlight of Yriel Yellow, Pink Horror and Temple Guard Blue to the flowers in order to get the bases finished before applying a final highlight of Fenrisian Grey to the grey symbolism on the Armour. Finally, I highlighted the Orange Hair, using a mix of Wild Rider Red and Yriel Yellow to produce a lighter orange.


When I next returned to painting I focused on the Antlers, lighter fur at the feet and the green gems I'd painted onto the minis. First up was the Gems, where I applied a small layer of Waaagh! Flesh to the bottom of each gem before adding Warpstone Glow to a smaller portion of that section and then Moot Green as another smaller section on top of that. I also highlighted the antlers and fur with Karak Stone before applying a final highlight to the Antlers (and the weird look bone thing at the end of the tail) of Screaming Skull. I then finished this session with a dot of White Scar in the top corner of each Gem as well as at the very top of the orange hair.

For my final painting session, it was all about finishing as I applied both Flayed One Flesh followed by Pallid Wych Flesh to highlight the skin before using Tesseract Glow to produce the weird glowing gem in their belly button (according to the card photos) and then finally highlighting all of the metal. For the gold, I used Liberator Gold followed by an edge highlight of Runefang Steel while the metal itself had nothing more than an edge of Runefang Steel.

The final touch was a wash of watered down Ardcoat over the Gems, just to give them that smooth sheen.

And with all of that, Kurnoth's Heralds are done and, I must admit, I'm proud of the work I did here. I'm particularly proud of my layering, which I feel was a vast improvement on when I had attempted it previously. Of course, I still think more practice is needed, but I'm glad that it seems to be improving.

But what next? I was thinking on the Blood of the Bull warband, but I'm struggling for the enthusiasm. Hopefully, I'll make a decision in quick order and will do just as well as this time round.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10. Completing my Tactical Squad (Recess Shading & Highlighting)

The beginning of the Romulans

11. Suppressors: Completing Strike Team Solarien (Sort of)