Painting Kurnoth's Heralds

This week I was in need of a new project for the September after finishing Xandire's Truth seekers.

Therefore, I turned my attention to another Warhammer Underworlds warband, Kurnoth's Heralds.

Ever since they were announced (and subsequently released), I have absolutely loved the look of these minis, what are essentially Mr Tumnus' bigger, angrier cousins. In fact, they were the reason I picked up the Spitewood expansion in the first place.

Anyway, having already primed them with Colour Forge's Matt Black I got to work.

First up I decided to give an all over drybrush of Wraithbone to these minis. This was to lighten things a little (because some of the paints were meant to have a Wraithbone undercoat, according to the Citadel App) as well as give me a better view of the details.

Next up came my standard process of base, wash, base drybrush, layer drybrush. On this occasion, I started with Mournfang Brown as the base for the horse body before giving it an all over wash of Nuln Oil. After that, came two layers of drybrush as I first returned to Mournfang Brown before moving onto Deathclaw Brown.

With the majority of the mini done with that first bit, I then moved onto Zandri Dust, which I used to differing amounts on each mini as a secondary colour for the lower body. As a result, one mini ended up as completely brown, one had Zandri boots while the last was given a lot more Zandri Dust all over their underbody.

Rakarth Flesh was next, which I feel like was the second most prominent colour after Mournfang, was applied over the the upper torso for the more human skin, as well as the antlers and any other bone-esque items which I deemed were such. I also used some of the Rakarth mixed with a bit of the Mournfang in an attempt to create a sort of transition between the two colours of the body. In Truth, my transition work here was hit and miss.

Finally, there was Abaddon Black, which I used for the harnesses, pouches and hooves, as well as the fur tufts for the Mournfang exclusive (as in, no Zandri) mini.


And, with that, week one on Kurnoth's Heralds is done. In Truth, I I wish I had gotten more done, but I found that this warband's amazing detail had a downside as it felt like the application of certain paints took far longer than I anticipated.

Also, as I had mentioned already, I also struggled with the transition of skin tones, as both Mournfang Brown to Zandri Dust and Mournfang Brown to Rakarth Flesh didn't come out as I had anticipated. That said, I did use two different methods; with Mournfang to Rakarth, I mixed the two colours and applied the result as a sort of transition layer, which looks ok. Meanwhile, with Mournfang to Zandri, I applied a little more stippling and small, short lines of each colour over the other at the meeting point. This looks a little unsubtle, leading me to think that maybe I'll avoid it in future in favouring of mixing.

Still, painting Kurnoth's Heralds has been a fun job and I look forward to continuing it this coming week and getting them to battle ready status.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10. Completing my Tactical Squad (Recess Shading & Highlighting)

The beginning of the Romulans

12. The Blood Angel